Do you know what Whole Foods charges for a bottle of unpasteurized juice? $11.99. That’s ELEVEN DOLLARS AND NINETY NINE CENTS my friends! Now, I’m not begrudging them the need to make money so the store can pay the electricity bill, or the juice making staff to get their juice bottled and transported, or for the farmers who grow the fruit, or the truck that brings the fruit to the store to the juice maker to the the shelves. As my friend Terri used to say, “I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’ … ”
And I’m just sayin … make your own flippin’ juice!
Here are the benefits:
- Great way to use wilting vegetables
- A better upper than coffee
- Outstanding way to get your vitamins
- Good way to get your kids to try different flavors. Pear Orange Juice? Yes!
My Favorite combos:
- Carrot, Apple, Orange, Beet, Ginger
- Cucumber, Orange, Apple
- Apple, Orange, Ginger
- Carrot, Apple, Lemon, Ginger
And a few notes:
Only juice what you need for that serving. Fresh juices can quickly develop harmful bacteria (thank you, Mayo Clinic) and don’t skip eating fruit because you are juicing. You do still need your fiber. But let’s not get into that.